Darcy's favorite reading
- Home Comforts, by Cheryl Mendelson
- Laundry, by Cheryl Mendelson
- Listful Thinking, by Paula Rizzo
- Adulting: How to Become a Grown-Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps, by Kelly Williams Brown
- Designing Your Life, by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo
- Norwegian Wood, by Lars Mytting, 2016 British Book Industry Book of the Year
- The Sibley Book of Birds, by David Allen Sibley
- The Sibley Book of Trees, by David Allen Sibley
Darcy's favorite browsing
- The Ugly Volvo (www.theuglyvolvo.com)
- Real Simple (www.realsimple.com)
- The Danish Way of Parenting (www.thedanishway.com)
- Modern Farmer (www.modernfarmer.com)
- Adultingblog (www.adultingblog.com)
- The List Producer (listproducer.com)
- The Official Marie Kondo Website (www.konmari.com)
Darcy's favorite shopping
- Schoolhouse Electric (www.schoolhouseelectric.com)
- Lee Valley Tools (www.leevalley.com) a family-owned business with bricks-and-mortar locations across Canada and a convenient online store for those of us south of the border. All sold out of the Cape Ann Sou'wester hat, but still a great source of gardening and household supplies, not to mention toe socks, Irish grandfather shirts, and all-important child-sized safety goggles. Site is also worth a visit just to read the letters.
- My Amsterdam Bike (www.myamsterdambike.com)
- Gardener's Supply Company (www.gardeners.com)
Darcy's favorite things
- Cape Ann Sou'wester hat - a must have! Now, sadly, sold out and discontinued at Lee Valley Tools, but still available for a few dollars more at the Toronto Dock Shoppe and the Bluenose II online store.
- Ilse Jacobsen rain gear - boots, socks, coats, capes
- No-iron sheets from Lands' End
- Tubtrugs - two-handled rubber bins in all shapes and sizes
- Craftsman hose nozzle from Sears
- Barkeeper's Friend - cleans everything
- Nut and fruit gatherer from Lee Valley Tools - "This tool collects nuts and fruit with a quick rolling motion. The highly flexible wires in the barrel-like head capture almost any small object. To empty, simply spread the wires at one point and dump the contents... A great back-saving tool for collecting acorns, crab apples, etc., it also works beautifully on golf balls and small toys."
- Felco pruners
- Notabag - 2016 German Design Award winner
- Haws watering cans, orchid misters, and so forth
- Scott's EZ Seed - Even Darcy can grow grass with this stuff. No aptitude necessary.
- Wilbur Buds - like Hershey kisses, but better
- Cafe Bustelo - How I start my morning, thanks to Mr. Darcy's college friend Francisco from Miami. High-performance fuel for mind and body. The happy result of Gregorio Bustelo's youthful journey from Spain to El Barrio Latino via Cuba and Puerto Rico.
- Eureka Mighty Mite - Absolute best lightweight bargain vacuum cleaner you can buy. Got my first one at Macy's in Herald Square and took it home on the subway. It totally transformed the experience of sharing 600 square feet with Mr. Darcy and a golden retriever--less pet hair, less dust, more happiness.